Thursday, March 26, 2009

'Hello America, I'm a British Muslim'

Here's a story to gladden your hearts. Whilst the Afghan plains are being bombed and battered, and much of the world is wary of Muslims - most of it imaginery - a British Muslim has gone over to the USA to talk to groups about Islam, peace and Muslim moderateness. He wasn't sure of the reaction he would get.

Well, he's been very touched by it all. He says, "Upon my arrival at Chicago O'Hare airport, I wasn't detained for secondary screening. The immigration officer, a pretty Hispanic woman, looked at my passport ("Cute picture!"), stamped it and wished me well. I was relieved and surprised. Now, I'm eight dates into my tour. It is tiring, but the audiences are giving me the energy to keep going. They have been, without exception, warm and receptive. Even people I meet outside the events (generally hotel and restaurant staff) have been delighted to hear I am a writer from England on a speaking tour around America on the subject of relations with the Muslim world."

What a great guy! And it only goes to show that ordinary Americans are the salt of the earth. It's the leaders of business and government that let them down!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...