Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pregnant man's sex is not his gender!

I've long since stopped worrying about the oddities in the world. This story just takes me aback, though. I'm all for happy families. I'm glad my father didn't wear dresses and call my mother dad! But medical science and times are a'changin'.

In Bend (good name for a transgender person to live!), Oregon, a man who was born a woman claims he is five months pregnant. He now calls himself Thomas Beatie and married a woman named Nancy. However, he kept all his sexual organs from his time as a woman. So the possibility of a pregnancy is high up on the radar. Not with Nancy, of course.

Now I've got nothing against people going in for transsexual surgery. This person may be very sure she is now a man. But I do have issues with bringing children into a world where manipulation and personal greed may be lifting their ugly heads.

Here we have someone who is defying motherhood bigtime. Then we have the desire to sell a story for money, no doubt making it juicy enough for the press. I hope they know what they are doing. Dr. Mark Nichols, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Oregon Health & Science University, said, "The definition of family has changed a lot. There's not a set definition anymore." That's true. I'm just not sure all kids are ready for it!

Of course, it could all be a hoax. I remember many moons ago, travelling up from California into Oregan by Greyhound Bus. That was back in the 70's. Then there were bumper stickers saying "Do not californicate Oregon". I wonder if these still exist?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...