Thursday, May 6, 2010

No canvassers knocked on my door!

This has been a deadly quiet election in Solihull. A prized marginal between the Liberal Democrats and the Conservatives, and I've not been so much as bothered by a political person. No canvassers, a few furtive leafleters, a couple of mobile advertising hoardings (for the Residents Party) and the glimpse of Nick Clegg in the council house car park talking to the TV cameras. I spotted him from the top of the No.5 bus. That was weeks ago!

All quiet on the Western Front. And all fronts, it would appear. All I've got to go on is the poster count and on that Lorely Burt beats Maggie Throup ten to one. It's hardly scientific.

I hope we turn more conservative tomorrow as a country. I still have some lingering doubts about David Cameron. It's not been helped by Simon Cowell's reasons for supporting the Conservatives. After all, it was Cowell who started off sneering at the sight of Susan Boyle as she walked out on stage. His gut instincts let him down there for a moment. I have no doubt David Cameron will do OK as prime minister. It's some of his ideas I'm at issue with.

I never thought it would come to this, but here is a conservative, a basic type of High Church, High Tory who has been wondering where the Modern Conservative party is going. For instance, if David Cameron becomes prime minister, will he use his office as an influence over fairness in appointing bishops? I bet that's not crossed his mind. Is there any room left in the party for traditional-minded people. Or are they to be harangued on a weekly basis as "old-fashioned" and "out-of-touch"?

I'm going off to vote soon. I'll need a steady hand with that pencil!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...